It is my first time to design the full print media. When I got assigned it, I had struggles of designing the pages such as assigning the grids of body copy and pictures because I had never considered the newspaper at all while I read it. So, when I decided the grids of stories, I firstly put everything without considering well designs and felt it seemed messy. After my first trial, I visited Newseum.org to look through several US newspapers to know how to get the attractive newspaper and what is the rule of the newspaper design.
While I saw the real newspaper designs, I got some ideas to design the newspaper, but recognized that I had insufficient skills of InDesign at that moment. So, I made the first rough draft and sent to the professor and my friends to get some feedback. When I got feedback, I checked them consciously and found the CVI was wrong and the words were too much as the front page. So, I spent several days for redesigning and rearranging the stories.
As I did it, I knew a little change can change the front page either attractive or not. The most challenging thing in this project was it, knowing the little thing to make the front page more attractive. Until knowing it, my page was just messy and put everything without consideration, and it was not interesting at all. However, when I knew it and changed a little things step by step, I felt my page became more powerful than the rough version as gathering all the little changes. The best thing in my page is the main CVI and the Headline inside of it. It is easily readable and enough to grad readers’ attention by assigning different colors in different words. It could be thought as too much decorative, but I would say it is not because I wanted to highlight the two words, “Poison” and “Well”. As highlighting those words, I believe readers would like to read its story more. Also, the CVI is large enough to let readers know what the main topic of the newspaper is and what they should read first.
Even I like my newspage design, I would like to change one thing that I would like to but have not found ideas how to change. It is the word counts. Even I shrank the amount of words, I still feel too much words on the page. Also, I know the balance of top and bottom is not well because too big pictures on the top, but too little pictures on the bottom. I was tried to rearrange the pictures, but it made off-balance or bad readability. So, I restored it as same as the final version.
The reason of choosing the main typographic is that as I knew CenturyOldStyTEE is the most formal and readable serif styles as I used the fonts before in MSCH-A420. Due to this reason, I set all label, headline, deck, byline, serviceline, and box captions with this font to make the unity of the page. However, on quote and captions, I used TimesNewRoman because quote and captions should be heavier than body copy to make readers grab attention to read body copy. As including the newspaper name plate, I should not have any more fonts to meet three-maximum rules. However, I used one more font, Copper Black, in promotion because I need much heavier font than Bold CenturyOldStyTEE or Bold TimesNewRoman to grab readers’ attention. And I feel Copper Black is more powerful than other two bold fonts, so I decided to break three-maximum rule.