To start off, I really enjoyed creating these spreads for the magazine project. It was nice to have more freedom than we did on the newspaper. This was only the second time that I have ever used InDesign, and I finally feel comfortable navigating the application quickly and efficiently. From the start, I knew that I wanted to design my spread around the Underground story. It was more interesting to me than the Giacometti one, which made it more enjoyable to work with.
My favorite part was designing the front cover. It took me a while to decide on which image to use for the cover, especially after placing some and arranging the text to fit nicely. It was easy to adhere to the three face maximum, as it made the magazine flow nicely together.
When I came across the map images, I knew that I wanted to incorporate one into my opening spread. I love vintage pictures and posters, and I thought it was a bold opening spread that wasn’t too covered in text. As far as the spread for the actual story, I wish I would’ve made the sidebar a bit smaller. After finishing it, I realized that it takes a little bit away from the main story.
As far as the ASF, I am happy with the way the design worked out. I figured that putting an old vinyl record inside the album cover would be a creative way to showcase the top 5. However, I wish I would have given more context to the top 5 list.
All in all, I really enjoyed this project, but I’m excited for the poster project where we can choose exactly what to do.